Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Teacher Marx
Hello BSED 3-A,

Using the video lessons we watched & discussed on January 25th, in your own opinion & understanding, how would you respond to this language assumption: "People with high IQ's are good language learners."

Deadline is on February 1st, 216.

Start posting now!

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Mary Ann P. Bandera
"People with high IQ are good language learner"
There are people who are greatly gifted with high level of IQ. They can easily understand and comprehend the meaning of words, numbers and symbols. In short, they are really intelligent in many fields of learning.
Regarding to the topic above “People with high IQ are good language learner”. For me, yes they are, but it depends to the learning strategies they are going to use to make learning effective and efficient. That’s the thing that I have been realized on the video clip about the journey of Mr. François Gouin in his studying the German Language. Even if how many times he tried to pursue his German language learning career, it ends with nothing because the learning technique that he was used is not effective. He just simply memorized the rules, patterns and German vocabulary words written on the textbooks. He only just learning. Maybe, if he changed his learning styles and try the other way/technique like practicing the language orally with acquiring all those knowledge that he learned, through acquisition with German people, so I think he will earn a great result.
So for me, high IQ is just an advantage to those people who are language learners because I believe that in learning a language effectively and efficiently. It is not only just learning the rules and patterns or by just simply memorizing some vocabulary words is not enough. But, it is something to do with applying or acquiring all those knowledge that you have learned through acquisition, to say that you are totally good language learner.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Rachelle Ann M. Gonzales
People with High IQ’s are good language learners
Good language learners!
In fact, many people wishing they could be the one of it. Now, let me elucidate my point about the fuss “People with High IQ’s are good language learners”. For me, it is an edge of coarse because, it might be an easy for you to memorize the rules of language, with the correct usage as well as the appropriate order and form of different messages, text, or sentences.
People with the high IQ’s are meant to be an intelligent and knowledgeable. It was great, indeed because, you have the capacity in retrieving and storing information within your mind so that you can learn language more. But being an intelligent, on the other hand, doesn’t mean that you are perfect to be good language learners also. The interest in language has exactly the great impact that will enable to you to become good language learners and to practice it in the same time is the best way to reach that point.
Undeniably, socializing with others will serve as big help wherein you can apply all the techniques and strategies that you have learned from your everyday experiences in using language. Just like in playing a basketball. You need to be good in practice to maintain your good performance in playing. You must be good in communicating to others so that you can work as a team. Likewise, in language you need to talk with the others because you cannot learn it by yourself. You need to be aware in handling your emotion and confident while you are using the language. Describe mistakes as a normal instead of getting disappoint with it. Those mistakes must be your reason to practice more. It doesn’t mean you lost but sometimes it requires changes.
Moreover, according to the philosopher named Barbara Oakley , learning instruction is only 20 % while the practice is 80% for you to be an effective language learners.
You cannot get it once at a time because it is not a quick process but a long and hard. No matter how intelligible the person who’s learning the language, It’s useless because being a good language learners is the characteristic which cannot be measure in IQ test. Meaning, not all the people with high IQ’s are good in language.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

REALYN T. DE VILLA
(BALQUEN, ARCELY RAFOL)

         Most people believed that people with high IQ's are good language learners, and wow this is sounds quite interesting assumption. Well, maybe because people who have high intelligence are capable of memorizing vocabularies, idioms and grammar rules easily. They can perfect the  test about theories and facts about language because they have a big knowledge about that.
        However on the stream, it is not completely true. It doesn't mean that people with high IQ's are good language learners. You maybe a genius but maybe you may not able to express yourself clearly manifesting the language. But instead, communication is one  of the qualities of good language learner. No matter how intelligent a people is, but lack in practice then it is useless.
       As far as I see and experience, people who are successful in language learning are the people who tend to socialize and entertain other people and that is the characteristic cannot be measured by IQ.
       Socializing with communication and practicing language everyday is the main quality of good language learner.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Mia Desiree B. Navarro
Having a high IQ is the most precious gift we had wherein we can easily memorize a certain thing and easily analyze, understand and acquired knowledge but not all people are blessed to have a high IQ. Regarding to the statement above, ”People with high IQ’s are good language learners” for me, it depends on their abilities, capabilities and strategies they use to make their learning effective and efficient. In addition, they are good at learning things and they can easily learn and catch up new ideas therefore, they will good about language. Learning a language can easily taught by others and it can easily learned, it is the instruction of rules of language, it is acquiring language through the use of communication without being aware of the grammatical rules.
People with high IQ’s are good in language learners in a way that how they communicate with other people by using different vocabulary words but of course not all people who had high intelligent are good speakers sometimes they talk and talk without even thinking that the people they talked with can’t understand them so in the end they look fool. Moreover, highly intelligent people are using different techniques when it comes in learning language, on how they communicate. In addition, it depends on the learner if how s/he easily learned and acquired knowledge but it is not about learning it is about how we applied the things we learned about language to be a good learners and also we need to have a background knowledge about the language we may use or wanted to learn.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Analeah Bandolin
    "People with high IQ are good language learner"

        Every person is capable of learning language in many different ways. People with high intelligence are acquainted with good memory, they are good in memorization, with mental activities and in academic field. Which everybody wanted to have and wish to be a high intelligent one. They are fast learners, they can easily learn all about the language, the rules, vocabulary, patterns etc. they can perform well this stuff as well as passing exams or tests. Mostly they are good in written text and are more in accuracy.
        For me everyone has the ability of learning language even they are in normal intelligence, because there are so many strategies that can be use in learning this thing. Yes People with high IQ are good in remembering and has knowledge in the application of rules in language but then there are instances that those who are mentally intelligent are not good in communicative activities while there are people who are gifted in having the two talents combined having high IQ and good user of language in communication. It depends on the ability and capacity of the learners, their style and strategies. Learning doesn't need a very intelligent mind, what is needed is patience, hard work, understanding and ofcourse acquisition of what you have learned is important. Not only remembering but applying it in real world situation so that the learning be effective.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

John Michael Cabantugan
 It is very traditional to all of us to say that people with high IQ's are good learners because by that we can emphasize the difference between expert and novice learner. Even in teaching field that connotation become an instrument of teacher to determine how to motivate student, but is it right to do that? People with high IQ's are good learners! I  disagree with that. Good learners can't be seen by just looking how their IQ's work, IQ is just a word that interpret how brain work in some circumstances happen time to time. When we talk about learning a language I think people with high and low IQ's can be a good language  learners. Let's talk about that, people with high IQ's in traditional point of view, they are good langue learners, they can learn easily and can pick up easily the topic. They usually think that those people with high IQ's are always active. And yes! they are true but somehow we can't deny the fact that those people with low IQ's can be a good learners.

Those people with low IQ's can be good language learners. As what  traditional Liberian said "It is not only giants that do great things", I think low IQ's learners can be a great learners in other way around. When it comes to learning language particularly the English language everyone can be a good learner. The only thing to do is to make and create something different with regards to learning a language. As many educator said to become successful the learning process ( like teaching a language) teacher must be able to put 80% of his/her time in teaching into a practice , so meaning good learners are created in practicing your learners , in that way we can't say that good learners are those people with high IQ's only, because when it comes to practice not only the mind is needed but also your attitude towards learning, what if low IQ's learners do have the attitudes needed in learning even he/she do not have good IQ. From that situation I think low IQ's learners can be a good learners they only need a practice because practice makes everything perfect.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Vergie E. Garcia
People have different learning styles, so as teacher they should have different learning strategies for the learners to learn. Regarding to the question " People with high IQ's are good languages learners. For me, YES,  why? because if the learners is high intelligent enough or s/he has a high IQ  they can easily adapt or learn on how to be good language learner.
On the side it depends on the learners on how s/he learn and adapt those language lesson.  of course the teacher have a great contribution on it. They are the one who guide and teach their students. Base on their skills, abilities and strategies the learners can be a good in language. The teacher should teach on HOW to learn and not WHAT is  learn.
Base on the video, a German is having a high IQ but he just keep on memorizing and studying those theories of language, so in the end he's not learned. As a learner we should practice and experience those language lesson for us to learn in many ways. In addition memorizing is not enough but practicing is the most important elements of learning.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Claris Joy D. Cadapan
"People with high IQ's are good language learners"

Learning new things is not as easy as what you think specifically in learning language. You as a learner are required to take efforts and dedicate a lot of time. You need to take risks. It is not all about memorizing of words, phrases and sentences but you should apply what you have learned to have an effective learning. That’s why intelligence is not the only basis to be a good language learner but also skills and abilities of an individual are more important.
The same as Professor FranciosGouin experienced. He was a very smart person. He wrote different books. He has many achievements in his life. I can say that he is belong to those people with high IQ’s. However, he was not able to learn the language that he really wants to learn because of his ineffective strategy used.
Based on this example, we can say that learning a language is not just about memorizing and reading but also required an effective strategy or learning styles for you to be able to learn a certain language.
In general, there are different factors that can affect the learners’ ability of learning a language: age, personality, immersion, early exposure, intelligence, motivation, attitude and strategy.
Therefore, we can’t generalize that all people with high Intelligence Quotient (IQ) are good language learners. Maybe there are some but not all of them. Even an ordinary people with a wide variety of skills and abilities can be good language learners because it’s not about WHAT to learn but HOW to learn.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Marvin E. Sta. Maria
Learning a language is sometimes a painful process, it may takes hard effort, time, and sacrifices for us to be able to learn new things. We cannot deny the fact that as learner’s we have our own differences in terms of learning. Well, the good news is, that differences makes us unique to somebody else. In fact, learner’s are divided only in two levels, the expert or the one who we called smart, genius, intelligent, and gifted, and the other one is the slow or novice learner (not much talented). The gifted people definitely have a high Intelligent Quotient (I.Q). “Is the people with high I.Q are good language learner’s?”. Well this is my point of view.
For the first place, I want  to say and clarify my answer. I might say YES because of some reason and on the other hand  NO. Meaning to say, my answer if both YES and NO.
YES, people with high I.Q are easily learn new things or I can say they are good language learner’s, because they have a fast and advance critical thinking ability on comprehending and adopting the language. It is very natural for them to perceive things and think deeply. If we’re going to compare them to other people, we say that they have  an extraordinary skills and ability because they can react easily on what is being happened. Moreover, people with high I.Q have their own choice of words to used in different situation. Learning for them is just a simple task.

 On the other hand, I can say that people with high I.Q are sometimes not a good language learner’s. Well, it depends upon to the person on how to used his/her skills. For instance, if someone is determined to learn the language even though s/he is not having this high I.Q, surely s/he will learned. But, if someone is not determined to learn even though s/he have this talent, it becomes useless. There are many factors to be considered in learning a language. Another thing is the STRATEGIES or TECHNIQUES that we used. If we’re going to memorized only the concept  of the language, then it is not learning,but if we’re going to apply it and practice consistently, I am proud to say that it is  LEARNING.

In summary, strategies plays a vital role in language learning. It is the main focus of all the changes that we want to happen in our life. Yes, people with high I.Q are good language learner’s, and also people with low I.Q are also good language learner’s. It only depends on how they used the strategies and techniques in learning the language.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Erlie R. Lizardo
People with high IQ's are good language learners
People have many ways of processing information and acquiring skills, but may varies from one person to another.
There are eight intelligences.  Those are linguistic, Logico-mthematical, musical, spatial, bodily/kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal and naturalistic.  People do have different fields to excel, but are still intelligent.  When we talk abut good language learners, therefore, I conclude that those people who are linguistic intelligent can excel more in language acquisition rather than those people having other intelligences.  However, it doesn't mean that those people who excel in other fields won't be able to learn the language anymore or won't become good language learners.
Every human being is capable of learning the language.  Sometimes, it depends on someone's capabilities.  If it emphasized on learning about the language, then may be people with high IQ's have an advantage in memorization of vocabulary and grammar rules and in taking tests.  However, if it emphasized on oral communication skills, I can't say that all the people with high IQ's are also advance compare to the people with normal IQ's, because there are also people with high IQ's who struggle in using the language.  Learning about the language is different from using the language in oral communication.  It requires grammatical accuracy, strategies and constant practice.  Exposure to the process of practice or application of the language in interaction/conversation will equip people to be good language learners.  If a person has a normal intelligence, it doesn't mean there's no way to be good language learner.  With appropriate strategies, practice, strong motivation and willingness, everything is possible.  As long as a person pursues to learn, there will be a progress and a big possibility to be a good language learner.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Michelle Aime Cajayon

          In my own opinion, there is no significant connection between the ability to learn a language and being an intelligent person. People with high IQ may not be a good learner because language learning is not only evaluated with one’s knowledge about the grammar rules or items of the language. In fact , language learning gives emphasis on the oral communication skills of the learner and cannot be measured in the test of IQ.
          If the person is interested in learning something like a foreign language, they might be successful as a good learner. As far as I see and experience, these people who are successful in language learning or the social and entertaining people that is not a characteristic and cannot be measured in IQ test.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Arlene  Joy Q. Castillo
Not all people with High Intelligence Quotient (IQ) are good language learners. Having a high IQ is not the basis of becoming a good language learner.
Who are the good language learners? A good language learners possess a distinct characteristics. People can be classify as a good language learners if they find a style of learning suitable or appropriate for them. They must be actively involved in the language learning process. Also, a good language learners know how to figure out how the language works and how it is used. In addition, a good language learners are good detectors or predictors, they always find for clues that will help them understand how the language works at the same time make guesses and ask people to correct them when they commit mistakes. Good language learners can also be described to have the willingness to take risks and to appear foolish if necessarily. They also raised questions and find answers in multiple ways. Good language learners believed in the power of good practice.
Based on the characteristics given to a good language learners, we cannot say that people with high IQ are good language learners. Francois Gouin is the best example for that, Francois is so smart that made him not so smart because he didn’t practice what he had learn. Memorization and Practice should always come together in order to be classified as a good language learners.
Therefore People with high IQ cannot be considered as a good language learners. Having a high IQ is not a valid basis for becoming good learners of language.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

JENNIE
       Learning is very crucial in every individual. How can you say that you are a good learner? is it by having high IQ?...Person with high IQ are good learner I'am not really agree with that. It is not the bases or measurement that you are a good learner.
       Even if you have high IQ but the eagerness for you to study is not present, you are not responsible and you don't have good attitude or behavior can you consider your self as a good learner? definitely No.
       As what I have observed Some of them are just want to hang out with friends and go somewhere that is why for me that is not the bases for you to consider yourself as a good learner.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

sharmaine Villaflores
"People with high IQ's are good learner"
Well definitely people with high IQ have the possibility to be a good learner but for me it still depends on the students or the learners themselves.
There are two types of learners the novice and the expert learners, of course expert learners inclined to those learners with high IQ, and the novice learners inclined with those with the lower IQ.Expert learners can learn even without the proper guidance of the teacher and also they can learn fast while the novice learners needs a lot of guidance and should be given a time to learn and recognize new ideas.
 As I have known learners learn with their own learning diversities and how they would handle their own learning. I agree that expert learners are good learners but when it comes to the learning itself both novice and expert could be a good learner. Say for instance, a novice learner can not cope up with the lesson the teacher is teaching then he will make a way how to understand every single idea the teacher taught therefor he can be identified as a good learner.
learning comes from the learners itself.

Re: Teaching Speaking ( Assignment | Final)

Gemma Gay D. Sugale
Learning is a painful process because it is the act of acquiring new, or modifying and reinforcing, existing knowledge, behaviors, skills, values, or preferences and may involve synthesizing different types of information. When it comes to language, all of us are capable of learning the language. Regarding to the topic “People with high IQ’s are good language learners”, I cannot say that all people with high IQ’s are good language learners because every learner has different style on how to learn the language. In a classroom situation, people with high IQ’s tend to do well in academic areas. But when it comes to using the language, learners with a variety of abilities can also do well. So, for me, the good language learners are not the people with high IQ’s but those who can apply well everything they have learned about language. In learning the language is like basketball, what is more important is practice than memorizing all the rules and strategies.