Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Teacher Marx
Hi BSED 2-A, please discuss why prescriptively ‘correct’ constructions are often used in
formal situations.

Posting will due on January 18th, 2016.

I look forward to reading your work soon!

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Kimberly C. De Jesus
In a formal situation like Assembly,Company meeting,Interviews,Orientation or even Campaign speech, grammar, sentence construction,pitch and of course pronounciation must be considered.
 Because we all know that those people oftently given the privelege to be a speaker or a candidate are well educated.
To avoid criticism and unprofessionalism they must watch their pronounciation. Be aware on those unfamiliar words that is rare to use or encountered.
Remember that " first impression last". As you delivered your sentence or speech make sure that you already familiarize those unfamiliar words to avoid mispronounce.
Thank you!

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Mary Jane S. Atienza

Well for me, in every place where we are, especially if were on a formal setting, we must and definitely use the correct words and sentence. In formal situations, we automatically encountered those professional and well educated persons and it’s so awkward if the construction of our sentence to communicating them was so poor. You will be critic and judge because sometimes people will treat you depend on your personality, what I mean to say is, in your manner, the way you speak including the use of words and pronunciation.
 For some reason, if the people seen that you’re careful in using words and choosing right grammar to use, you must be a respected person because you have your discipline in communicating them through using correct grammar. The quality on how you use the words often, has huge influence on a first impression you make on people.
Whether you like it or not, people will judge you based on how you speak and use the appropriate words you are using. For me, taking time to follow the rules of Standard English in your formal speech allows you to present in the best possible light.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

REALYN T. DE VILLA
Why prescriptively correct constructions are often used in formal situation?
We should often use prescriptively correct construction in formal situation because in any formal settings, we should be formal too. We should be formal and careful on what to say or what to write, for instance, when filling out important documents like taxes, speaking with airport security or government authorities, applying for a job or job interviews, writing business letter, and any formal situation or presentation, because in these situation people think other people ought to say. Meaning, they are after on what you are saying and gesturing. Grammatical errors and mispronounce words can be seen and observed easily by other people, in this situation. We should not make jokes and we should not use jargon words and expression such as dude, guys, hey, etc. Correct usage of words and sentences enhance the effectiveness of communication and tolerate ambiguity. Prescriptively correct construction of sentences and utterances build respect, trust and good rapport between you and other people in any formal situation.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Alhona Pacifico
A lot of us know how to speak English,but not all of us know how to construct grammar especially when we are speaking and in writing also.
So why do we need to be prescriptively ‘correct’ constructions of grammar when in comes in formal situations?
Because, a formal situation it is always connected to higher status of one person. For examples, Business letters, Guest Speakers, and so on.. So that, correct constructions of grammar are expected to them. And they might be misunderstood of the listener and reader if their grammar is incorrect.
However, some instances correct construction of grammar are unnecessary like in politicians' oration, because they often did it in oral presentation.
That's all! thank you!

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Quirante, Shiela d.
Language shapes thoughts and emotions, determining one’s perception of reality.
We as a future teacher are expected to be good in using correct construction of grammar. We should use correct construction in formal situation for us to be formal. When we are invited to speak in a crowd we avoid mispronouncing a word because we don’t want to be judge by them. Your listener will get hook by you if you can speak fluently or talk formally. You will be highly appreciated by them.  Most of the time in formal meeting we encounter professionals. Talking with them is like holding an expensive glass you have to be aware not to be hit someone. All of us don’t want to be criticized. You have to familiarize words that are confusing for you so that you are aware by it.
There is, of course, no denying that the knowledge of the English language is one of the most important. So we have to use it correctly.  Be aware about constructing a sentences and how to pronounce it correctly.
 thank you!

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

LUQUINGAN, ARLENE A.
Why prescriptively correct constructions are often used in formal situation?

For me we need to use correct construction because we are dealing on those people who are professional, especially in some formal occasions where professionals are gathered. We can’t avoid communicating with them as usual. We need to become part of their world and in order to accomplish that we need to be like them. I think correct construction is used in formal situation to avoid criticism; we need to be careful on what we are saying because it reflects our real personality. Correct construction of sentences can make communication effective, easy, and great because as a reader and listener they can easy get your point if you delivered it in correct manner. And it also can build respect and honor. They not only listening but also watching our words, don’t be boastful otherwise, be a good speaker. Before I end this I want to share what I’ve read in a book. “A good speaker does not present so many words, but he is a man that kills a bird with one shot of his gun.” It means that we don’t need to make our sentences broad, just stick to a little word but the thought was there. I shared this because I think this is one of the rules of good communication…..THANK YOU.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Seniel,Alvin B.   BSEd 2A
Grammar plays an important role in our daily lives specially for those professionals and  well educated person.That's why during elementary,English teacher should focused to teach grammar because it included even in high school and college curriculum, it's very necessary for us to construct appropriate sentence in oral or even in writings.Prescriptively correct construction are always used in such formal events and meetings because it's very obvious,your in the group of professionals and educated persons so whatever you act or speak with them,you have to be careful and formal not only for your attire but also you grammar and accent and it's very necessary.Why,it's reflects yourself and even your school that you came from are no excused about it.Remember in every formal settings,you are in a circle of educated persons,every words out from your mouth is monitored unlike in informal that descriptive type is set to be the medium.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Villanueva Margie P.
Why prescriptively ‘correct’ constructions are often used in formal situations?
         There are reasons why prescriptively correct constructions are often used in formal situations, first in able for both native and non-native speakers are aware to the construction of a sentence. For example if you are a native speaker of English without special needs, you know when to use the article a and when to use an. All of us know how to do this correctly though we might not be able to formulate the rule, which says that the article a occurs before a word that starts with a consonant, as in, and an before a word that starts with a vowel, as in. Through this simple rules honestly speaking other speakers are not familiarized on using this both article. In formal situations such as applying for a job, or giving a presentation it is important to used correct construction. We should learn when and how to be polite and impolite; formal and informal because it can be one the basis to evaluate your personality the way you speak, you pronounce and the way you construct sentence that will address you if you are truly educated and deserving one to be hire. Unlike when you are in informal situations like watching TV with your roommate, nobody will object to prescriptively prescribed expressions that you have said.  But come to think of it, through informal conversation as individual you are getting ignorant of the fact that there are simple things that you have to know. Because if you are in formal situation if your sentence is not well construct it can be a cause of misunderstanding or misinterpretation and disappointment to whom you are having conversation.Especially, it will reflect to your personality and also for you to avoid criticism because whether you like it or not when you are dealing with professionals you can't avoid communicating with them that's why prescriptive construction of sentence is important.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Rejean V. Reyes BSED 2-A
The way you speak and write, your gestures and posture , and even the manner of how you pronounce the words you are saying are being criticized by the people around you on formal gatherings. It reflects your personality and what kind of person you are and how well educated you are.

In official documents, books, news reports, articles, business letters, application letters, etc. are the common situations in which formal construction is badly needed. The way you write a business letter or an application letter is one of the basis for you to get hired or make a deal in your business transaction. Your words embodied your skills, credibility and capabilities. People who will read your resume are highly educated and well trained that can easily detect if you misused any words and even on job interviews. A book would not be reliable if its content is full of errors.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

erick d. lumanog
In my understanding it is a must to have proper pronunciation especially in formal situations since there might be some instances wherein words might have the same spelling but differ in meaning when pronounced. To be able to communicate well with people, proper pronunciation plays big role for each parties involves in the conversation to easily understand what the other is trying to convey and in order to avoid confusion. For example a seminar situation, when you use correct pronunciation in such kind of situation, you are showing your personality of being formal and professional. When you are talking to someone who is professional literally s\he won’t be noticed that you are not professional like them. If you know how to speak or use correct pronunciation, you can join and level to those who are professional in that particular situation.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

erick d. lumanog
Verna Santa Rabanal
BSED II-A
.....CORRECT
Pronunciation is normally used in a formal situation because it’s actually an occasion wherein people gathered our normally with a high standard or shall we say a well-educated ones. If we tend to mispronounce any words that we are to say then they might be laughing with it or at any means you might be corrected in front of many or others. It shameful right?. Otherwise ,I, being a student of English major, I should have at least beware and well –oriented about proper pronunciation because at the very 1st place is not only me who would have to stand in any feedbacks that I may be receiving it also affects those people who have been teaching me.
Formal situations are indeed a formal one, it sounds funny but the reality hahahahha....
so it only matters that when formality a rises then we should also wear are formal way of dealing with people and situations by applying good communication  skills that includes proper pronunciation . That’s all thank you

Jacky May L. Lama
BSED 2A
                For me, from the word “formal”, you must use such way that will be suited on the situation that you are gaining to speak. Prescriptively correct pronunciation are often use in formal situation; it is because they are showing the others of their being formal.
As a professional teacher, for example, you will be known by others on how you act or the way you speak. Being professional, you must know on how you act as a professional. By using correct pronunciation, your personality of being professional will be seen on how you act, the way you move and most of all, on how you speak. For example, you as a teacher were assigned to be the one who will be hosting the event, for example a seminar, you as a professional teacher, you must use correct pronunciation for you to stand as a professional teacher. If you know how to use correct pronunciation you won’t be easy critic by other people.

Katrina U. Sulayao
BSED II-A
        Correct pronunciation must often use in formal situation because there are some words that when it is pronounce it can create different meaning. In formal situation or conversation, it is very important to have a good and correct pronunciation it is to deliver your best idea and for you to understand each other. Pronunciation plays an important role in communication because correct pronunciation may bring you in a correct and formal communication. If you mispronounce even only one word it may lead to misunderstanding and confusion. Example, when you are in such face to face interview or what we call formal interview then instead of saying “it’s a better and best product I’ll ever made” then you say “it’s a bitter and beast product I’ll iver mid” then you continue to promote your product, but your client misunderstand what you say then, he is no more willing on what your want to say instead he will wasting his time thinking and trying to understand what your say. So, correct pronunciation is very important to use in a formal situation.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

DELOS SANTOS LEIZEL O
delos santos leizel
BSED II-A

WHY PRESCRIPTIVELY CORRECT CONSTRUCTIONS.....................

Formal situation on common sense it is necessitating being formal. We oblige to use formal conversation and choose appropriate words. You give the impression of uneducated person if you used jargon or slang words. Correct construction are used in formal situation as formality for systematize. If your chosen words in conversation in formal gathering are grammatically incorrect the conversation is no sense. In school, teachers are not credible in students if his way of talking is improper. It is sound funny like a baby talking if you used inaccurate construction of sentences. In Filipino subject there are words " kolokyal"  or "lalawiganig" which are used talking with your friends, neighbors and relatives, but not appropriate in job interview, business meeting, business letter and such, because it is indecent way of conversing. Also in writings, books and kinds of literary works correct constructions are used for standardize. And it is easily to understand.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

MADJOS EUGINE ISRAEL B.
Why prescriptively correct constructions are often used in formal situation?

For me as a future English teacher it is very important for me to have a good and correct pronunciation the words.because it is very difficult for the teacher to teach if the teacher herself/himself don't know how to speak or pronounce the word correctly.

So for me having a good and correct pronunciation of words is the best asset of the teacher in the field of teaching.In terms of formal situation like Assembly,Company meeting,Interview,Seminars as an English teacher it will be shameful if you don't have a good and proper pronunciation.So it is better for the teachers to know how to construct and to pronounce the words correctly not only the teacher but also the student.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

CRISTINE SUMCAD CUZON
Why prescriptively ‘correct’ constructions are often used in
formal situations?
Correct constructions are often used in formal situation merely because it is the basic requirement for a/an (educated) person to communicate well to his/her fellows.  Standardized sentence structure allows the readers or your listeners to properly interpret your meaning. A poorly structured sentence is easily misinterpreted or misunderstood. It is very important to construct sentences in an accurate manner because it can reflects your personality. When you committed mistakes in grammar and pronunciations, it is not about the judgments of the people that surrounds you the point is you cannot apply well what you have learned in school/environment. In speaking or writing in prescriptively correct constructions is the application or one of the basis that you are knowledgeable. This instances often see in formal situations and it is frequently used because it is necessary to do.
Formal situations need a formal actions too. Formal situations is not basically focuses on job interview, news report and business letters etc. Another simple example are when you are calling your learners you should call them using Ms. or Mr. and their surname and not just by their barely names. Second you should say Please and Thank You, by this approach you are not just showing right constructions but rather respect and appreciation too in formal way. It is always very important to be alert in every word you are going to write or speak even if it is informal or formal.

Re: Midterm Requirements (Structure of English)

Buenafe B.Magtulis Jr
Being a formal pronunciation and structure of grammar is very important to those people who are in formal situation like some activities such as meetings, assembly, seminars and campaign and specially in teaching.  These are some example of formal situation which is formal settings of grammarr is very important. Because when you are  a speaker, you need to speak clearly and fluently for the crowd to avoid some issues relating in your background. Most of the time there are many speakers who get misinterpreting to their listener it is because of their way on how to pronounce or delivering the words that they voice out. And being a speaker, high expectation of crowd is in there so that you need to be a professional on how to create your lines before you delivered . And be aware also to your performance on how the way you pronounce, and the loudness of your voice, which is that  what we called the tempo, pitch and tone.