Language Curriculum

12

Language Curriculum

teacher_marx
Administrator
Hello guys, use this topic to post your reaction or reflection on why the west was wrong to abandon 'Chalk and Talk teaching'.

I look forward to reading your work soon!

Thanks

Marx

Re: Language Curriculum

Alhona Pacifico
“If the learner hasn’t learned the teacher hasn’t taught”. My opinion about, “why the west was wrong to
abandon chalk and talk teaching method?” When I read the article I did focus on the disciplined
classroom environment, which is today way of learning seems already forgotten. I got an example on my
parent way of learning when they are studying. They said; their teacher is focus on the discipline.
Teacher is very strict to them especially when they don’t learn fast. If they don’t know how to read, they
don’t do their home works, and do something wrong instantly they got punishment. And then when
they did right they never get the praise. So, I asked my parent “why those strategy of teaching are works
because look both of you, you just elementary graduate but seems you been in college?” and my parent
answer me, “well, because at that time we are scared not to learn, obviously because of the punishment
and we always think our future we are so poor if we don’t study hard what will be happen to our
children someday. Because we believe that children starts learning at home.” Ok , maybe I got so far
already, back to the Chinese way of teaching. Somehow I do agree with them, but it depends on the
environment of learning they have. Those ways of teaching method I think can’t be applicable on the
city which is so much technology around. Why they stick on the chalk and board while there are
overhead projector and computer? It’s funny to think that, why they go to the library and find some
sources if there is “google” who help them to find? Anyway, my point is the traditional way of teaching
is not really abandoned in the place where are isolated in technology. There the “chalk talk strategy” is
really effective, because they have no choice especially if they are aiming for the better future…..

Re: Language Curriculum

Verna Santa Rabanal
The questioned that needs to be answer is that, why the west is wrong to abandon the chalk talk
strategy? Where, as we all know this strategy was the traditional strategy, and comparing with the
students now with the older ones, they are better and they are more intelligent than the students now,
but why? It is simply because their teacher used a traditional strategy strictly. Since then their teacher is
strict to them, even they are just using the old strategy the learners/students learned more effectively
because the teacher of them is strictly in terms of disciplining the students.
The chalk talk strategy is an effective way of teaching because not all the students are expose with such
kind of learning by their own, because this chalk talk strategy is, the teacher will give all the information
to the students while the students will just sit and listened, maybe others will think that it will not be an
effective learning because the teachers cannot check them all if they are following to their lesson, but
since then before the students are more disciplined than now, and the teacher will know if the students
learned according to the result of their test.
This strategy is more applicable to the students, why? Some students don not know how to use a
technology and not all of them have. And not all the students are novice learner, that can understand
fast the topic.

Re: Language Curriculum

Kimberly C.. De Jesus
Why the West was wrong to abandoned Chalk and Talk Method? Which is a directed- method. Where
the teacher spends more time standing at the front of the class directing learning and controlling
classroom activities.
Traditionally, classrooms have been organized with children sitting at the front of the room, directing
teaching, ensuring a disciplined classroom environment. This is known as direct instruction.
Those phrases stated above make me conclude that having using the chalk and talk method or the
traditional method in teaching, make Chinese students perform excellently in classroom studying its
because of their attention that is given and must be given by the teachers to the student. We cant
denied the reality that the students before are more disciplined than today.
In hand to hand process of learning children can learn and focused as well, of what was they have
learned. It’s effective in a way that teachers are talking and their students are just listening. Their
making sure that students are listening attentively. And the teacher is strictly motivating their students
behavior in classroom.
But on the other side I do agree with the new methods when there is give and take .And using
technologies in presenting the lesson, it is more easier and students get more interested on the lesson they have to conduct.

Re: Language Curriculum

Balquen, Cherry Ann
       According to what I have read, 'Chalk and Talk' is described as the traditional way of teaching. The role of the teachers is to perform at the front of the class. I, as a future teacher, what is the best method I'm going to use in learning or teaching strategies?
       Nowadays, we are in a modern world or 21st Century, so that we need to teach our children to how to cope with the modern way of living. How can you approach the technology method if here in Philippines have many remote areas? The schools here have a lack of resources and learning facilities especially to those where have no supply of electricity so the only way in teaching is the direct instruction known as chalk and talk approach.
       I am favour in 'Chalk and Talk Approach' but not 100%. According to Concordia Online Education (2012), there are some benefits of lecturing in a class. The first one how to do with discipline because students remain in their seats paying attention; they are supposed to be quiet while the teacher controls the class, the students do not need to worry about the content because all what is important will be said by the teacher and the other advantage is just for those students that have the capacity to concentrate and learn what they heard. In other cases, this method has also  disadvantages. According to Abbott, 2015, students do not learn to work collaboratively, many get bored, do not learn, and they have little or no change to participate in class. They did not learn group collaboration, public speaking, or research skills that are just as handful of the real-world skills that will define success, employability, and competitiveness in the 21st Century.
        As I recall the situation of the China's students they perform so well and the West was wrong to abandon the chalk and talk in teaching method. I'm trying to say , Western countries can use another strategies but it's not right to abandon the direct instruction. They can or may use the teacher-centered an d student-centered in the same way. But they have a some points of child-centered approach, the students learn important collaboratively skills through group works, they learn to direct their own learning, ask questions, and resolve complete tasks, these benefits are according to Jones, 2007. The teachers are not explaining directly but checking works of the students.
         So, what is the best way of teaching as a future teacher? I agree with Donnelly, 2014, we can use both teacher-centered and student- centered approaches to make our teaching strategies effective. Teachers need to try a variety of strategies in order to help the students to participate in class in more active way.

Re: Language Curriculum

katherine reyes
 Why the west was wrong to abandoned chalk and talk teaching methods?
based on my research it is said there that 'chalk and talk teaching method' was not enough

"Teachers who practice the chalk and talk method ought to use more teaching aids that can stimulate student's interests in learning as well as to assist students in concept formation," said Dr. Ee Ah Meng, consulting counsellor at the ministry, during a talk at the Sayyidina Abu Bakar Secondary School.He stressed the need for teachers to alter traditional methods of teaching and to use two-way communication in the classroom.
another basis, In an interview with The Brunei Times, he said, "Some students are not so attentive in class, lacking the motivation to study and that is why the use of teaching aids, charts, slides and pictures should be utilized to interest the students."
I think for that was only there opinion but for me even though that's the case I don't think so that we need to abandoned already the traditional teaching method we all know.
because it said there that the learners will learn easily or simply learn the lesson by using some strategies or creative way of teaching. Like using slides, pictures and so on that can make the students active in performing in school. for me there is no bad in implementing  a new way or strategy in teaching but why do we need to abandoned the traditional way of teaching? ..
for us a future teacher or professor someday we can use that chalk and talk or we should say we still using the traditional teaching methods. In teaching the learners. That's why for me only my opinion , chalk and talk teaching method should not be abandoned.

Re: Language Curriculum

katherine reyes
ROSEBEM RODELAS....Sir I just put my name her because I cannot erase Ms. Reyes name above.
They always say that Education is one of the important thing that parents can give to their children. It really matters to everyone of us. From the time that I finally understood the real meaning of Education until now, still the issue is we need to learn, be educated.

Why the west was wrong abandoning 'chalk and talk' teaching methods?
 This current issue regarding the best methods to be use in teaching really matters to every educator in the world, especially Filipino teachers maybe, because they value their students. We say that "Ang Kabataan ang Pag-asa ng Bayan"! 'Chalk and talk' teaching method is a traditional way of teaching for me, we need to consider this method and abandoning it is not that good idea ,but probably China need to enhance their ways of teaching and accept the fact that while the world is changing, Education needs to level up, because students' attitudes are changing too. I am not in favor of using chalk in teaching because it affect students health, but we have to consider the availability of the materials that we have to use in teaching. In our country probably, we cannot abandoned 'chalk and talk' teaching method because there are many remote areas that this is the only suitable
method that can be use.

What is being neglected in this kind of teaching method?
Christine Blower, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers (NUT) says, "The fact is that teachers themselves are the professionals that best know their children and their students. They should be trusted to organize their classroom, employ effective behavior-management strategies and plan, teach, and assess in a way that best promotes pupils
learning".
In my own opinion, we are neglecting the discipline that they had before in a classroom. In traditional method, students respect the role of their teachers, they know that teachers takes greater control, so they need to follow their teachers. I believe that when we respect someone, we are able to follow them, so learning can exist too. For me, discipline and values of a person really matters, because we cannot say that a person is well educated if that person forgot to value their teachers. What if we just conjoin it with more teaching strategies that best fit to the situation, like what we are doing until now in our classrooms? Like what the secretary have said, as future teacher I need to be flexible so that I can cope up whatever kind of situation I may encounter in teaching.

Filipino teachers cannot totally abandon 'chalk and talk' teaching method, but I believe that if teachers know their priorities in teaching and that is to create good quality of students, we can never go wrong.

Re: Language Curriculum

Margie P. Villanueva
           After reading both article concerning the method used by China and Western countries, I can’t help myself say yes equally to them, they’re both useful and effective in the same way. If I’ll be the one who to ask if which of the two is more applicable to use in able for the learners to comprehend, similar to the opinion of others I can’t choose between the two of them because they are both great with their own ways. The only matter is, if both of them are superb why did China still on top or the foremost country between the two when we talked about the results of NCAE. Well on my own opinion and observation I think it also depends upon the behavior of the learners because we all knew that China is very stricken when it comes to individual behavior controlling. China believed that in able to achieve their goal of modernize and industrialize nation can be reach only if they produced highly trained personnel who will dedicate all-out effort to correct earlier mistakes and to introduce new and effective measures that’s why China enforced that the remaking of the nation can be accomplished only by educational means. They strictly focused on facilitating students manually (through chalk talk strategy) even though they are in modern ages, they want that activities physically done just like handling their own country. They give much attention on education that’s why they excel in educational attainment because they are devoted to accomplish their goal.  When it comes in Western beliefs through education they are that great too but maybe the only matter only also is the learner’s behavior, the way their government administrate and the dynamics of generation. As you can see Western countries is one of the dominating and progressive countries in modernization time .Their teaching strategy is dissimilar from China, they have their own way. In fact nowadays western countries strategy is very beneficial in every developing country. It is just suited for the learners with this generation very spoon-feed techniques. All the easy way of learning was there. I think the real matter are the learners because as I have observed when time changes, way of living changes also and their behavior influenced by the innovation. Unlike China although there is innovation happened they prioritized their goal which is dissimilar to Western youths who goes with the flow of changes. Instead of knowing the effect of innovation they are fond of enjoying it the reason why they became liberated and more focus on new things not in their goal to stand out their country. One more thing that I have observed also in some youths including our country which is true they give much interest in manipulating things brought by modern technology rather than studying, the reason why they set aside their goal. Because if you are going to base why China did excel rather than Western with their strategies there’s nothing wrong with it except of being not beneficial for our health( using of chalk and the effects of modernization),they’re both applicable and relevant.

Re: Language Curriculum

Realyn T. de Villa
Imagine a classroom without chalk and blackboard or without felt-tips pen and a white board or a teacher does not talk or explaining or demonstrating his/her lesson to the learner before giving a task to them. Traditionally those said are very important in teaching-learning process. In favour with the China’s traditional method of teaching, the Chinese chalk and talk teaching seems more effective and successful. John Sweller, a cognitive psychologist from the University of New South Wales noted that“Initial instruction when dealing with new information should be explicit and direct.”Meaning teachers are necessary to talk and execute the step of entire procedure of the lesson. It is not easy for the learners to learn and do such activities without explaining and demonstrating basic skills and procedural knowledge. For example, the teacher will teach how to add similar fraction. The teacher will begin by stating the rules, then generalize and ends with specific example and concrete details . So the teacher should explain and write it on the board to make the lesson clear and understand by the learners. When the learners understand their lesson and can apply it independently, effective and successful teaching can be made. Learners can learn and internalize what is being taught even they’re just sitting and listening. Using blackboard, it is a convenient writing material where illustration can instantly be drawn even during a discussion. Topic can be listed, deleted and revised to final form. The attention of the class can also easily be held and focused. On the other hand, combination of traditional teaching and technology is much more better. Nasser Abdellatif said that “I believe that the nature of the course sometimes what determines what we use, I find that in technical classes, I prefer chalk and talk while in descriptive classes  I tend to find other mean’’ For my own point of view, we should not totally phase out chalk and talk .We have to use it if the lesson are difficult to understand like heavy mathematics. Talk and chalk have some characteristic that you do not want to lose  according to Costas  Drossos .

Re: Language Curriculum

Kimberly C.. De Jesus
Katherine Villaluna
The west may be wrong for depending on e-learning but I think that being stocked-up with the old teaching method is not a good option neither. School facilitators are one of the very important fountains for learning. Elizanica once said on her blog that “learning cannot be simply about just filling a student with information and that there must be more personal interpretation and understanding going on. An effective facilitator would care to know whether their learners are really learning or are just attending the class to sit-in. Facilitators could give examples from their own experience that are related to the topic. But leaving the entire job to the teachers as not a good idea; other than intellectual ability, cooperative and collaborative learning is also an important cradle for learning. Dr. Ee on the article ‘Chalk and Talk Teaching Method Not Enough’ on Bandar Seri Begawan noted that “more activity based approaches and class participation between the teacher and students should be adopted’. He also stated that “when students are actively involved in a particular lesson, learning becomes more interesting and meaningful”. On the other hand, Rita Cat from her post ‘Chalk and Talk’ shared that she refuse to let her students solve mathematic problems on the blackboard. She stated that it is more often that the work her students put on the board is wrong, and the kids cross out their correct answer to copy what someone else has done. “If it is on the board, it must be correct, and even when the work is correct it is often eligible”, Rita Cat added.
I was not a very good student during my high-school life, and answering on the board at the front of the class made me feel I was being bullied already. A had the feeling that my smarter classmates are waiting for me to make a mistake while the less other kids are worrying to be called next. In my own opinion, the use of ‘chalk and talk’ method shouldn’t neither be abandoned nor be kept. A talk method could stand alone even without the help of the chalk. But talking should always be with the teacher’s talent. I believe that the key for the enhancement of the student’s intelligence doesn’t really depend on the teaching methods but the ability of the teachers to perform any teaching method that could be use. After all, what matters most is for our students to be prepared for their future mazes to be solved.

Re: Language Curriculum

Luquingan, Arlene A.

                     How does education is important to everyone? "The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows."It means that education is a process of learning to look beyond yourself, and to see the rest of the world more clearly.
As I read the contents of the Chinese lesson, the chalk and talk is the traditional way of teaching. I'm not favored in this type of strategy because this is a teacher centeredness. Teacher will speak and write while student are sit on their rows to listen. It is much better to facilitate the student and let them done the whole school activities the only thing that children will do is to guide them. As noted by John Sweller,  Initial instruction when dealing with new information should be explicit and direct. Direct or explicit involves directing student attention toward specific learning by introducing teaching methods for reading and writing or actively involving students in knowledge construction. The instruction is focused on producing specific learning outcomes. It provides guided instruction and strategic development in the basic understanding of required skills in reading and writing, which students can then build on through developmental practice, collaboration, repetition, hands on activities while scaffolding instruction. As a future teacher, I will make sure that my strategy will become effective so that my student will turn the mirrors into windows..

Re: Language Curriculum

lyka jessa e. vinluan
China's lesson:Why the west was wrong to abandon chalk and talk teaching method.Which is in this article the teachers  is a centered of learning.It will happen if the teacher explains the principles and concepts to  students,writing on a board with chalk and pen.This approach recognized by the teacher and the students listening and following only.They don't have a chance to cite their ideas and opinions.
According to the ministry of education,"TEACHERS should not solely rely on the so-called chalk and talk method if they want to engage their students"which is right.Because, for me,in teaching we need to have a give and take relationship to our learners.Not only the learners learned but also the teachers or what do we called a facilitator.Why facilitator?because he or she facilitate the class unlike in a chalk and talk ,the learners controlled by the teachers.In this relationship it will enhance the  communication and social skills of the students.And according to Miranda Yeoh of Selangor Matriculation College,Malaysia;"It needs an excellent teacher who is sensitive to the classroom atmosphere to carry out chalk and talk with some good effect.The teacher's voice must be ATTRACTIVE enough,otherwise students get bored and do not follow the lesson".But the question is,what if the teachers are not attractively enough?Based on my experience,in my previous school every subject have three hours,so the student get bored.But with a modern technology the learners become attentive.Like Dr. Ee said that "some students are not so attentive in class, lacking the motivation to study and that is why the use of teaching aids, charts, slides and pictures should be utilized to interest the students."Because more class participation between the teachers and students the class become more interesting and meaningful.
That's why I am disagree  in this article that west was wrong to abandon the chalk and talk teaching method.Because for me the chalk and talk teach the learners to become DEPENDENT.

Re: Language Curriculum

Chrizzalyn S. Domingo
China’s lesson: Why the West was wrong to abandon ‘chalk and talk’ teaching methods.

    We’ve come and reach the generation where freedom is being abused and the morality of human beings has almost come to its end. It is very visible that perverted truth becomes the truth and becomes a preferred correct direction for the blinded human race. One of the best evidence is the toleration of homosexuality, abortion, immorality and disobedience that is very rampant and merely become a part of the individual right of freedom. Of course we cannot blame this all in school, but even the parents, church and government has lost the essence of chalk and talk guidance for the learners were the teachers leave their authority and give it to the hand of learners. When people agreed to use this kind of pattern that focuses on giving the children the control over what happens in the classroom, they never notice the psychological impact starts to change the norms and everything that is right. The learner becomes either arrogant or ignorant about the real aim of learning process.

    It is not just the theory that we want to inflict in their mind but the most important of these is the process of learning that they have to undergo that builds patience and perseverance  that will help the children get out of their comfort zone and grow as a mature and flexible person. One writer said “It is expressed in the choices one makes in the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility” – Eleonor Roosevelt. So, it is true and I agree that there is no benefit for learning from trying to present information to learners in their preferred learning style. Another writer said that “We don’t stand for something, we will fall for everything” – Walter Cronkite. Of course the learners might find it hard to study, obey or follow one pattern of teaching that sometimes won’t fit their appetite but Arthur Lenehan said that “We should not be afraid to go out on a limb, that where the fruit is” and Ray Bradbury said “You should not merely try to do thing, you simply must just do them.”

    Let us guide our learners to the right path where they should go even if it take that we have to bring back the control were it truly belongs.

Re: Language Curriculum

Quirante, Shiela D.
            “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”. People who are educated have a great influence to the world. They are the builders of our nation.
Based on what I have read on the issue of china’s lesson:  Why the west was wrong to abandon chalk and talk teaching it’s because they have figure it out that it is effective to the learners. It is a teacher-centeredness which the teacher is the one who talks in front of the class. It is a scripted program where teachers are given cues to follow throughout a lesson. Student interaction is largely choral responses following a teacher signal. Students must master concepts before they are allowed to move on. Students are often moved to alternate groups according to their ability level.

 I am not favor in this because as a future teacher we should let our learners explore to enhance their ability.
According to Henry Wong, teachers began to experiment with more innovative and experimental styles of teaching. These included basing learning on children's interests, giving them more control over what happens in the classroom and getting rid of memorizing times tables and doing mental arithmetic. By this, students know what to do.
We don’t all of a sudden become a “Teacher” with a capital letter. It’s a process that takes time.  We can’t come at this role as a know-it-all. We may know our content thoroughly, and that’s good. But teaching is not just the transmission of content to students. It’s the process of how we interact with our students; it’s the quality of our interactions. Teachers need various strategies. To do this well, we need to constantly pick up new skills, and add them to our repertoire. We have to adopt the attitude of a learner and plunge into the unknown and take ownership of new skills.  It’s a great modeling for the students.  Regularly, we can add techniques such as:  new ways to ask questions, new ways to call on students (random selection using sticks or numbers), new ways to use technology, new ways to use language for English Learners, new ways to assess (constructed response, performance tasks), and so on. The list is endless.  Good teachers are always integrating more into their teaching. Teachers must adapt their teaching to the situation and be flexible to be able to understand by their learners.

Re: Language Curriculum

Rejean V. Reyes BSED 2-A
Education plays an intrinsic role in the lives of humans
It has been molding the minds and perspectives of people for the past  thousand of years and remains doing so up to the present. It has shattered the walls between factuality and falsity. It has enabled humanity to explore what is beyond the closed doors. Furthermore, education has been the basis of our individuality in our society . With these, it is remarkably how immense it influences and shapes the world we are living. Nowadays technology seems to mediate in so many things as well as how we codify information. Innovation's impact has been replacing the traditional type of learning which for me is good.

The world is constantly changing as well as the type of learners emerging in every generation.  What do the learners need?, how the learners learn?, and how the learners differ are the major factors should be considered. Learners shouldn't be treated like marionettes where their movements are limited and are hinged to the given instructions . We are now in a computer age wherein children are computer dependent and have short span when it comes to attention. The role of teachers as facilitator will enhance learners 21st century skills and will provide life-long learning potentials in order to be creative by themselves and autonomous in learning that are really essential in a competitive global society.

On the other hand, the student based learning or the traditional method where the teacher often talks at the students instead of steering them to interact and ask questions. Less interactions usually leave students less attentive and less engaged. They have little opportunity to voice out their opinions that will somehow boost them socially. Moreover, learners in a traditional class is full of knowledge but insufficiently skilled. Skills that are extremely important when they face the real corporate world.

For the past years,  we have caged our scholastic system based on the traditional type
that has been criticized between modern type to be more effective.  But come to think of it, a pencil doesn't need a sharpener if it is already sharpened pointedly like there will be no enhancement if it is already functioning well. Teaching methods are really crucial but learning is another story, for learning outcomes depend on the learners individual learning capacities.

Re: Language Curriculum

villaluna,clariz T.
Education is the key to success in life, and teachers makes a lasting imfact in the lives of thier students.and believing in yourself, is the first secret to success:)

The question is, Why the west was wrong to abandon the "Chalk and Talk teaching?
 for me i am not agree in chalk and talk teaching. because if the teachers only standing in the front of the class talking and writing on the board the students would be noisy and they will talking and talking thier classmates, and it can cause of the students  didnt learn about thier topic, becaue of distruction. so today we are all in modern technology, instead of writing in the board and using chalk, there are using visual aids, like using manila paper,cartolina or computer to teach the students, so that in this way the students learn more because the visual aid get thier attention and they listen carefully of what the teacher saying in the front.  because in chalk and talk teaching where is the teacher spends more time standing at the front of the class and talking and talking and write and write, it is really hard right? so im not favor in chalk and talk:) thats all!

Re: Language Curriculum

Alhona Pacifico
"Teaching using chalk and talk is very effective way of teaching. However, in this age of high tech, the purpose of chalk can be replaced by other processes like smart boards."-Professor Abedallah M Rababah.

In our generation today, many students are capable of having many resources of learning that can get from the Internet. Although, "chalk and talk method" is successful way of teaching, we cannot deny that technology can make the education even better. Why the West was wrong to abandon chalk and talk method? I think it is because they cannot give sufficient supplies of materials that can be used or replaced in chalk like teaching using PowerPoint presentation and the worst case is that perhaps teacher are not oriented to this kind of teaching technique.

BORING...... if the learner will just sit and listen to what the teacher is explaining and discussing in front. Spoon feeding method? Is not an advisable way of teaching nowadays. Students have their own knowledge that can be used to understand their lecture even if the teacher will not exploit chalk on the board. Let's just open our eyes and mind that the traditional way can be exchanged in more effective and easier way.

If the students will have firsthand experience in everything they do, learning and retention will be higher than talk and chalk method.As we use technology in teaching like for presentation, for class interaction, and for collaboration students are required to be readers, writers, editors, and publishers and must be willing to collaborate and be closed to other as well. It builds relationship towards your students and mostly they are enjoying to participate in class.

Everything has changed so teaching must transform from traditional to modernize. Let the learning fun to teacher and student as well. No chalk- no dust. Allow students to get important details from Internet, they must find out that not all the knowledge can come from the facilitator. They must have the self-discipline to gather information from other resources and not just simply sitting in their respective chairs. West was not absolutely wrong to abandon this way of teaching but merely they are just lack of strategy to implement this technique.

Re: Language Curriculum

Buenafe B. Magtulis Jr.
For me chalk and talk is very important materials for the facilitator to use in their teaching.We need to consider first if what are the things that will be gone if that kind of teaching has be implemented in our country,.I cant imagine of that.Most of our learners have a different types of problem mentally,physically, and emotionally.And I think it is one of the reason why we have a different type of learners base on their capacity to learn.As a teacher student,TALK style in teaching is effective.why?Because we have a different type of subject and every subject had a different types of objectives.surely,one of those objectives is on how to motivate your learner.They need to know if what are the benefits or the good things have in one subject.And you need to explain or demonstrate on how it happened.How can you do that in a nice way if we do not use talking style?Yes we are already have a new technology and some latest application that we can use in school,But those things are not enough to be a good learner.Like me as a English major student,I need more information to be a good speaking in English  and how my facilitator do that if they are not using talking method or talking style.We are all know that we a some word with the same spelling,But if you pronounce that word in a particular sentence it will get a different meaning.And last word:WE ARE NOT A COMPUTER MACHINE OR A ROBOT THAT AFTER IT PROGRAM DONE,IT WILL WORK!!!!

Re: Language Curriculum

delos santos Leizel O.
Delos santos leizel O.
bsed II-A

It depends on the ability of the children to learn. there must be a appropriate teaching method to be suited in their diversity.
There are fast learners and novice learners. here in the Philippines there are many students that teacher must have to focus their teachings. There are uncivilized children studying like our native mangyans that teachers must have to teach them in traditional method.
So that the Philippines must not have to abandoned "chalk and talk" teaching method. It doesn't mean that if there is a most effective teaching method we have to adopt it and abandon the other teaching method not knowing the disadvantages of it.
Abandoning "chalk and talk teaching method is not applicable in the Philippines because there are lots of students that are slow learners and novice learners that must have to focus on teaching direct-instruction.
Many Filipino students in the public school are poor in speaking and reading English even in tagalog and in mathematics subject. Most  of schools in the Philippines are public school so that there lots of students that are slow learners and novice learners. in addition many children depend on tutorial. it is just explains that most of the students needs more time to spend in learning from teachers lecture. they have to guide and instruct in their study. in basic teaching method teachers used chalk and blackboard in teaching for the learners to understand the teaching easily.
Other students needs to guide to their study because some students lost their interest for some reason and they can't focus to the lesson that give by the facilitator. some of them don't understand just in reading it on their own. they someone to elaborate the statement to understand it clearly.
on other hand inquiry learning or innovative and experimental style of teaching is suitable  only for those fast learners. Those are students that are have high intellect.
China's lesson is right if it is discuss here in the Philippines.
Learners have there different way of comprehending. There are visual learners, some are learned from hands-on activity, some are good in reading than writing and vice versa,some are good in in listening and reasoning but not in numbers. so why don't we try to do is the teachers must be skillful and have different strategist in teaching instead of focusing in one best strategy. it means that it is better to combine bests strategies that are work in learning of the students or we have to know and find out the capabilities of students and then apply to them which is the best way or appropriate teaching method for them to learn for better. if it is applicable to classify them into the levels of there IQ then make a teaching method that is proper to them.
Teachers must know what is the need of the students so that it will feed the necessity of learners.
Therefore i conclude that "chalk and talk teaching strategy" must be the fundamental way of teaching. we don't have to ignore it.

Re: Language Curriculum

erick lumanog
When I read this article the China’s lesson: why the west was wrong to abandon the chalk and talk? I said to myself WOW!!!! Because I did not know that Chinese teacher is using old strategies but their strategies are more effective rather than ours. Why I’m said this because their students are having or showing a lot of determination to search or to find their assignment or etc in their school library. Honestly speaking, I’m not against with their strategies I am the one fan of their strategies because I see that their strategies is effective to all of their students. Honestly, it’s more easier to understand your teacher by doing write to the blackboard and he/she explain it rather than you use a technologies and talk OMG , for me  you can’t capture your students  because of the two factors first maybe it’s boring or not attractive and the second is the when you used a technologies in your teaching the students is maybe he/she cannot listen because of they say that “our teacher is going to print her/his all handouts and The Chinese education system is so good that all enriched families in china just want their youngsters to study in the West... that's all thank you
12