Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

12

Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

teacher_marx
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hello Guys,

This page is going to be used for your Assignments and requirements of the program: Introduction to Linguitics & Language Curriculum.

Have fun posting and learning!

Yours truly,

Mario

Course Instructor

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Eugine Israel B. Madjos
In this context had shown the dynamics of the New Generation on how it process through what we called the Technology World. As I observed there are advantages and disadvantages in this era, many things are compromise due to its negative impact though there are also new inventions that helps each individuals use their capacities of unique imaginations through this computer society.
On my insight the program can create a big impact to those individuals but as I said earlier there are also disadvantages, many will forgot to do outdoor activities and their aspects of life will really destroyed like the spiritual life, socialization that must interact personally to their surroundings or appreciate the nature of environment, the balance of life that every human must achieve will be compromise due to concentration or relying on this Generation Z.
But prior to this is the Communication, Because it aims and pursue to produce graduates who are smart in many aspects or areas example; language conventions, principles, strategies and skills etc. So whatever field of endeavour they may engage in they are fit for it. “Furthermore, the curriculum aims to help learners understand that English language is a dynamic social process that responds and reflects changing social conditions, and that English involves values, beliefs and ways of thinking about ourselves and the world we dwell in.”
“Being language teacher we must guided by the six(6) language teaching principles. Principles that explain the natural process of language development.”
1.Spiral Progression
2.Interaction
3.Integration
4.Learner-Centeredness
5.Contextualization
6.Construction

As I overview this especially of becoming a future teacher, it’s a challenge for me on how I will inspire and teach my students how to balance the aspect of life and give importance each rising new innovations while the left areas of being should not be compromise. It’s a wonderful challenge and I am excited of it, on how to connect the Computer, through Language to create citizens whom need of the nation and primarily not affect their health and still joint to the nature of environment of this world.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Dacayanan, Christian Arjay P.
          Being a student of OMSC (Sablayan Campus) I disagree to the implementation of “k to 12” program because for me K to 12 would be a bad idea for today. We all know that poverty is the most glaring issue here in our province of Occidental Mindoro most Mindoreños are having a financial difficulty especially in their budget on their primary needs  for their own family. Some parent or guardians work hard just to send their children to school to avail best education because it would help them to improve their lives.

          The other reason is the student’s interest to study. We are introduced with the new technology today and most children are addicted to computer, music player, laptop, and other gadgets will lead students more interested in it than to study. I also observed that some students find learning disinteresting for the reason they don’t like the subject or the teacher. So, students tend not to listen but they do other things.

          And last is the Teacher’s training and interest, teachers today are complaining for a low rate salary. K to 12 will increase their task or work. If this happens there would be a probability that teacher would seek for another job than to do a lot of work with a low paying job. These are the reason why I disagree to implement this K to 12 programs.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Jacky May L. Lama
Today, Ms. Cuzon reported about the Natural Classes. I learned that the Natural Classes is a set of sounds that have certain phonetic features in common. Classes are called by their manners of articulation, their places of articulation. I realized that the consonant is usually obstruction in the mouth. Vowel is a little obstruction in vocal track and the Glide (w, y). We tried to use it and found out that there was a w, y sounds in every glide in every sentence we used. Sir Sampilo also mentioned about the “Laiason” which is the connections of the words and he gave an example for us to exercise. He also discussed the Tense Vowels which need the extra effort to be able to pronounce like the native speakers. He gave an example for us to exercise for the Tense Vowels and we found out that it is not easy to pronounce. I felt some pain in my jaw which is normal happened when u practice. We enjoy it really! He said that when we practice it a lot, it will become too easy for us to pronounce it like the native speakers. “Betty bought a bit of better butter”, he let us to read it one by one with the soft “D”. We laugh at the other because they can’t pronounce it with the soft “D”. But then on, we tried and we tried until we got it all.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Realyn T. De Villa
In primary and secondary schools, every level have English Language subject. At their young age, some learners say’s “Why do we need to study English language? We are not American, we are Filipino! We should be focus in studying our own language. What is the importance of learning English language? Why do we have to learn reading English words? “Even in tertiary level have this subject but at their age they understand why they should study English language.
When we are reading textbook, newspaper, magazine, poem, signage and etc., there are unfamiliar words we’ve encounter. The first thing comes in our mind is “How would I properly pronounce this word?’’. In our subject (Introduction to Linguistic) last Saturday, there are lot of ways in pronunciation of words properly. Study of English language is very important especially American English Language. Their language is the universal language. It is the language use by many races to communicate with other races. In some instances we’ve encounter foreigners and English language is the best effective way in communicating to them. That’s why we have to study American English language in order for us, as a Filipino people, to be effective and globally competitive in terms of communicating English language. Grammatically skilled in speaking English language is not the only bases in communicating effectively. You have to be aware also in the pronunciation of the words you utter. As a future English teacher, having a knowledge in producing sounds properly is very effective way of teaching. You might inspire your student with your pronunciation. It might be stimulate them to learn more about English language.
There are four process in producing speech sounds. First is initiation process; second is phonation process includes open glottis-production of speech sounds, and close glottis in which no air pass between them. Third is oro- nasal process which includes oral cavities in which words come out w/ the mouth and nasal cavities-words comes from nose. The last one is articulation process-it is the shaping of speech sounds into recognizable oral symbols that go together to make up a word.
 In sound classes there is what we call the tense vowel and lax vowel. There is a tense in producing sounds in tense vowel while in lax vowel, you do not need to use your face, and you only need to move the back of your tongue and your throat. Native English language speakers use their tongue very actively while non- native use their lips in pronouncing English words. There are three ways to learn English language. First is repetition , try to repeat the words until you got the perfect pronunciation .Second is imitation, listen American music and watch movies w/ subtitles then imitate their pronunciation. Third is communicative approach, speak English even in a simple way like for example talking with your sister or brother and even in your pets to improve your communication skills in English.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Margie P. Villanueva
      Last meeting we study about the articulation process and sound classes production. I had learned so many things regarding to this topic. Some words are really hard to pronounce but when you already knew if how it will pronounce, you will laugh at yourself and you’ll say that “it’s so hard but cool to do”. One of our topic is the “schwa” which it is the most common unaccented vowel sound in English, for which the symbol of this is an upside-down “e”. It is use as a pronunciation guide. We also study the “ea” pronunciation. It is the combination of e and a sound. Including the vowels and consonant sounds was belong to our topic. From the start, if you study this lesson, realization comes to your mind that I should be thankful that this time I already had knowledge about this because admit or not, before, we only imitate sounds in our nature without knowing the proper pronunciation of it t hat’s why changes already taken place all the time. The pronunciations of words keep changing because we do not make the effort to keep pronunciation constant. Because of the changes we encountered the three main problems of articulation, these are the substitution, omission and distortion of sounds. In substitution of sounds, we might say balentine instead of valentine. We substitute the b sound from v sound. While in omission of sound, an example of it is instead that we pronounce it step, others use to say it tep. Lastly the distortion of sound in which instead of saying little sometimes if your one of those who had foreign accent, you say it as yittle. I know this three problem are not belong to our topic but I had discover that it has connection to it. Another thing is, those people who use slang it changes the pronunciation of words and it leads for misinterpretation. Others think that it was acceptable but the fact that people are not actually speaking with their native language they forgot the  correct pronunciation of it. Although it sounds classy, we should limit using of it in order to keep high standards of good speech.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Luquingan, Arlene A.

            Why do we need to study about speech sounds specially on English language?
In my own opinion, we need to study the speech sounds for us to create a good conversation with others specially to the native people because their was a tendency that they cannot understand us if our words that we are trying to say is not a sounds like what they think because there are words that similar to spelling but differ to its meaning. So that, we need to be careful on what we are saying for u s to create a good relationship with others
             This time I learn something about speech sounds.....
Speech sounds is a phonetically distinct unit of speech. It is important to learn for us to became common in every words meaning. We practice some exercises and that is read words one by one. Our teacher practice us to get the correct pronunciation of the word but before we do it, he done it first. he thought us how to use that word perfectly. And the most exiting part of our study is when he let us to recite the "Betty bought a bit of better butter." then we done it one by one. Most of us done it well but others cant, it took how many times before they've got the perfect pronunciation..
               As a whole, our lesson was so amazing and everyone was enjoy that time because we cant stop on laughing but we learned a lot and that is the most important.. We enjoy and we learn... But something happens on us, after that class our jaw was aching, it proves that we enjoy every minute of our lesson because of non stop laughing and practicing..

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

lyka jessa vinluan
I remember when I am graduated in elementary and high school our teacher assigned me to speech at the front of the crowd.That time for me I speech is just like by sharing your thoughts and I didn't know that speech has a process.and I learned this process in this subject.the speech sounds has a four classes but before I mentioning that process first we need to know the meaning of speech.speech produce  by the air stream and the air stream is used for speech always moving out of the lungs and up to trachea.and now lets proceed to the processes,first process is the initiation process,this process means all speech sounds require a pulmonic(lung) air stream.second process is the phonation process,this process passes through the larynx which contains the vocal folds produce a certain sounds.in the second process  has a glottis and this glottis is the space between the vocal folds.there are two kinds of glottis,the narrow glottis and the open glottis.the narrow glottis produce a sounds by vibrating,like for example the word “together” if you speak this word try to observe your throat and there's a vibrating happened.and the other one glottis is the open glottis which produce the sounds with out vibration,just like for example the word “thing”,if you speak this word try to observed again your throat and it’s just like our normal breathing.the third process is the oral-nasal process,oral process,when you speak passes through the mouth,example,the letter “P” and for the nasal the letter “M” and it passes trough our nose.And the last process is the articulation process.
Also I learned from my professor if what is the technique to pronounce the word with the “TH” sounds.he said,bite our tongue and push it outside.in my first try it’s really hard but when I try it again it can easy to me to speak the words with the “TH”: sounds.The other one  is,if how to pronounce the letter “W” and it can be dubba you,the word examination,it can pronounce as igzamination and the word finally it can be as finelly silent A.And the word petal it is sounds like pedal.
I learned the glide also,like for example the word go on,if you recite it faster it can be like a sounds go/w/on,there's a glide W.the other example the other it has a glide letter Y it can recite as the/y/other.the sentence ,my name is Ann,it can be sounds like my nay-miz zen.and I am interesting that time caused I want to enhance my knowledge in terms of pronounciation.and the other topic that I learned form my professor is the sound classes,it is the set of the sounds that has a class,the voiced and the voiceless sounds.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Chrizzalyn S. Domingo
      The topic for today is about sound classes that was reported by Ms. Cristine Cuzon. I’ve learned about the voiced sounds which are /p/, /t/, /k/ and voiceless sounds which are /b/, /d/, and /g/ and the different pronunciation of the words which is really interesting because it was my first time to hear about it. It’s really funny pronouncing it because it sounds new to me but still I enjoyed practicing it.

       During this lesson, I realized the importance of English language in our life because it is said that English is the Universal language so, it is really important to study and to learn about its correct pronunciation and correct usage of grammar. Sir Sampilo also mentioned that the more you read carefully the more you commit wrong pronunciation and that is really true because I experienced it for so many times specially in reading in the front of the class. I also learned that in American accent there are what so called glides like for example in the words “go on” when it is pronounced there’s a glide (w) that comes after the o in the word go. Another example is the words “the other” I noticed that there is a glide (y) when I uttered the word ‘the’. We also discussed the words that contains a “schwa” sound and I found it difficult to pronounce. There is also a liaison or connection in American language like for this example sentence (Bob is on the phone.) instead of reading it word by word it should be pronounced continuously to have a correct pronunciation.

       The flow of our discussion is really funny because there are times that Sir Sampilo tells us a joke and I can’t easily moved on until the class ended and even when I got home I can’t stop myself from smiling every time I remembered it. I really enjoyed the whole discussion and I thank you sir for sharing your knowledge with us.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

ALVIN SENIEL BSED 2A
"Sound Classes"is the topic that Ms. Cuzon discussed.Because the topic is about sounds,the whole class became s watered frogs because of diff.sounds and noise they produced.The sentence"Betty bought a bit of better butter"sounds like crazy,"Beddy-bada--bida-bedder-budder".And that was the right pronunciation for that sentence.In these case,liaisons of words are involvometimes called assimilation, depending on the case, liaison generally refers to two adjoining sounds blending together. It helps to think of letters and sounds as being "sticky." They attach to ted.Liaison is one of the most common ways that English pronunciation is affected. She sounds around them and influence them. In English, this often happens between words so that entire phrases or sentences branch of linguistics.Another is the phonology, is a branch of linguistics concerned with the systematic organization of sounds in languages.Phonology aims to analyse these sounds and discover why this happens. This involves discovering how what happens in the brain is transformed and produced as the physical sound. This allows phonologists to discover the different rules there are for combining different sounds.Another involve things in this topic is the IPA.The IPA is designed to represent only those qualities of speech that are part of oral language: phones, phonemes, intonation, and the separation of words and syllables.[1] To represent additional qualities of speech, such as tooth gnashing, lisping, and sounds made with a cleft palate, an extended set of symbols called the Extensions to the IPA may be used.[2]

IPA symbols are composed of one or more elements of two basic types, letters and diacritics. For example, the sound of the English letter may be transcribed in IPA with a single letter, [t], or with a letter plus diacritics, depending on how precise one wishes to be.[note 2] Often, slashes are used to signal broad or phonemic transcription; thus, /t/ is less specific than, and could refer to,  depending on the context and language.The voiced and voiceless sound are related also to the topic.Sounds with vocal chord vibration are voiced and sounds without vocal chord vibration are voiceless.There are 26 letters in the English alphabet, but there are 39 sounds (15 vowel sounds and 24 consonant sounds) produced by these letters. (see vowel and consonant sections).A vowel is a sound where air coming from the lungs is not blocked by the mouth or throat. All normal English words contain at least one vowel.The vowels are:
   A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y.   'Y' can also behave as a consonant when it is at the beginning of a word.A consonant is a sound formed by stopping the air flowing through the mouth. The consonants are:  B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, Z
 All the sounds produced in the English are either voiced or voiceless. Voiced sounds occur when the vocal cords vibrate when the sound is produced. There is no vocal cord vibration when producing voiceless sounds. To test this, place your finger tips hand on your throat as you say the sounds. When saying the voiced sounds, you should be able to feel a vibration. When saying the voiceless sounds you sound not be able to feel a vibration.

In general,the report of Ms.Cuzon and the discussion of Mr.Sampilo became s exciting and joyous for me bec. of those funny sounds I've been encountered in this topic.And its another knowledge for me to know the matters about it and also the important,how I applied those pronunciation in my daily lives.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Rejean Reyes BSED 2-A
We have tackled about sounds, I have learned that sounds could be produce either on nasal or oral cavity reported by Ms. Domingo. Resonances produce through nose are uttered with the soft palate and with passage of air through the nose as with /m/ and /n/. We also discussed about sound classes, I remembered that the set containing the sound /p/, /t/, and /k/  is a class of voiceless stops in the American standard English, the voice stops  /b/, /d/ and /g/,the fricatives and vowels. In vowels there are tense and lax. Tense vowels requires more effort in producing such sounds like stretching your lips, moving your tongues and teeth positions rather than on lax vowels that you can produce by just simply moving your lips. The Y and W glides which they call liaison was also mentioned by our instructor that is the pronunciation of a latent word final consonant immediately before following a vowel sound, he gave us some tongue twisters and practiced the glides  such as on the line  Betty bought a bit of better butter which will  sound like  Betty bota bitof better butter, and it was really fun,our tongues literally got twisted.

He also let us to pronounce words with different vowel sounds  for us to distinguish their uniqueness and distinctions on how it is produce and how it sounds. We have what they call long and short e in words like phoenix and friend, the schwa, diphthongs and other phonemic symbols.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

teacher_marx
Administrator
Katrina U. Sulayao
BSED II-A

This day has been great. We learn a lot from our teacher like some of the proper pronunciation based on the American dictionary. The natural class is a set of sounds in a language that share certain phonetic features. When we say phonetic this is must be grammatically specified and necessary in distinguishing words. And we learned that if the letter ‘t’ is place at the middle you must read it a soft ‘d’  example is the word “Betty bought a better butter” in the non-native speaker they can pronounce it base on what they have been see. But in the native speaker they must read that as “beddy bodda bedder budder”   especially the American because that is there language, you can see the effortless when they speak unlike to those who are non-native speaker the effort when they speak are there. And we have on what we called glide this is the quantities of both w and y like when you say ‘hello’ you must put there a glide w and read as ‘hellow’. Another example is  ‘My name is Anne’ you can also put a glide y and read this as ‘ma-naym-miz-zanne’. In natural classes we have voiceless and voice stops. The voiceless stops is the set containing the sounds p/t/ and k in American Standard English. The voice stops is one of the several classes that include the sounds b/d/ and g. The pronunciation of a word must base on the environment you belong just like when you are in place that are not yet civilize don’t speak the way you are in the civilize area, speak on the way that they can understand you so you must have a better conversation. We have also tackle the correct usage of the ‘swcha’ although it is very difficult to understand. But the most important there is you use it in a proper way you understand it. This must be the interested part of learning if you want to learned more about the American accent.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

katrina U. Sulayao
[...]

Rosebem Rodelas
  I really enjoyed our topic regarding sound classes and phonology. At first it sounds like were being exaggerated but I think as future teachers we really need to enhance our speaking skills. This topic brought me a lot of ideas in pronouncing some tricky words. I am looking forward for another interesting topic like this, because I believe that we have to improve our pronouncing skills. Time will come, I will teach also because this is the career that I've chose. And I think I really have to enhance my speaking skills because through speaking, we can assume on a person's credibility.How are we going to be an effective teachers if we do not know how to speak correctly. A good speaker is an excellent teacher.Helping us to learn the right pronunciation of a word contributes a lot in our speaking proficiency. So, thank you for our professor for doing his best to teach us. I really appreciate it because it can help us on our future experiences. I pray for a lot of tongue twister topic.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Katherine Reyes
The topic last meeting was so interesting and very great. It's about the sound classes and phonology by Ms. Cuzon. I really like the concept and I really did enjoy the whole discussion. I learned on how to pronounce a word correctly. And I remember also that we could encountered some complicated words eventhough, were like being exaggerated when we are pronouncing it but, it's very important to us to learn about the pronunciation of words especially we, future teachers we really need to enhance our speaking and communicating skills using English language with proper accent and correct grammar.Because for me it has an impact for an individual who can speak English fluently, it looks like a native speaker.  And I gain another knowledge for that. I believe we can use that knowledge the near future in teaching especially were major in English. And I hope there's more topic like that out there that we can tackle. I really enjoy this subject and I had so much fun.And also hoping that someday I would be a successful professor in the future.
God Bless!:)

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Ivory Fuentes
Why we study english language?well for me it is because we are english major students and what are we going to teach to our future learners if we know nothing even on how are we going to pronounce English word correctly.
Last meeting we studied about sound classes. It includes how the sound is being produced and delivered. Words could be delivered by nasal or oral cavity. I also remember the W and Y hlide and the voice and voiceless sounds. I also learned about the articulation symbols and how to pronounce each articulated words correctly. We used to have some exercises regarding this topic and we enjoyed it very much even it feels like our jaws cracked.
I really enjoyed our class last meeting and I'm sure it will be as enjoyable it was on the day forward. Sir Sampilo is a very good instructor,he never lets our day ends without learning anything from our lesson.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Buenafe B. Magtulis Jr.
This topic of sound classes by ms cuzon was very interesting.Like the example was given, this sentence is very easy to understand word by word.but if you try to pronounce that in british or in fluent sound,some characters are voiceless.And that is will become our weakness   someday if we not to improve or enhance our tongue,lips and voice on how to pronounce the word in british sound.As I said before we are going in the global standard and this is one of the most  important thing that we needed.Speech sound is also important to all student who will become a teacher someday because this is related in k to 12.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

Balquen, Cherry Ann R.
          Last Tuesday, June 23 we studied the report of Ms. Cristine Cuzon which all about the sound classes. She said that sound class or natural class is a set of a sounds that have a certain phonetics features in common. In phonology, a natural class is a set of sounds in language that share certain phonetic features. After Ms. Cuzon report, Sir Sampilo have a follow up for our topic on that day. He taught us the correct pronunciation of the words. The features of voiceless stops: continuant and voice. He also explained the differences between tense vowel and lax vowel, the w-glides and y-glides.and the connection or laison of the words. He taught very carefully so that I understood it.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

BALQUEN , ARCELY RAFOL
  Last Tuesday [June 23] Ms. Cristine Cuzon discussed about the sound classes. And I learned that sound classes is a set of sounds that have phonetic features. And I learned also the voiceless and the voiced sounds, these two phonetic consonants depicts the manner of articulation. In phonology per see, the p, t ,k, are the voiceless and the b, d, g are voiced sounds. On the other hand, in fricatives have f,o h for voiceless and u,z,Z  for voiced.
  After Ms. Cuzon did her part as a reporter, Sir Sampilo added the lax vowel, tense vowels, glides, and the laiason. in lax vowels it refer to the short vowel sounds, while tense vowels refer to the long vowel sound on the contrary.
  Lastly, he taught to us the pronunciation point which refers to the upside down V[^]. Under upside down is what so called sibilant which means, feel the air sliding over the tip of your tongue. For example: Betty bought a bit of better butter. this will become speak in a manner like this : Beddy bada bida ov bedder budder. According the rules, the succession of letter t in a word will become d when it pronounce. Butin  every rules there is an exemption,not all tt can be changed into d sound, for an instance the word attack, attached and attract, these words can't be changed.
  All in all, studying the correct pronunciation of a words is quite difficult without the guidance of a competent teachers.

Re: Intro to Linguistics (Assignments, Requirements)

erick d. lumanog
Before I go to my journal I have a qoutes 'voice is one of the most powerful gift of God for us. In the report of Ms. Cuzon I learned the difference of the voiced and the voice less. The voiced we used it in the maybe in party.if you have a party celebration you hear a loud voice. Voice is used of us uf there are no voice we cannot communicate to each other and we don't have a unity to each other.because like what i said last second voice is ine of the most powerful gift of God for us. The voiced less it also use by people but your voice is you must be control. If you enter the school library you cannot hear a loud voice .because they have a roles like for example is quiet please so you gonna quite your big mouth.but if you are communicate in the other person in the library you use a voice less sound to not distourb the person in there. The next is  sound classes a set of sound that have a certain phoenitic feature in communit. Based in my own understanding.this is a voice again and again that we use to communicate to each other. The voiced is uses for anything or everything for example you sing, you talk to anyone and you used your voice when you shout. Voice is like a sword because it kills people. Last but not the least the phonetic is a relating spoken language.speech sounds, or a science of phonetics and speech sounds more than the minimum number of symbols necessary to represent the significabt differences in a speaker/s speech.
12