Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

12

Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

teacher_marx
Administrator
Hi everyone, please use link to post your reactions and express your stand on: Should teacher use students own lanhuage in the classroom? View it here http://www.cambridge.org/elt/blog/2015/02/teachers-use-students-language-classroom/

Please be informed that deadline of posting is on Oct. 6, Tuesday 2015.

Have fun posting!

Regards

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Buenafe B. Magtulis Jr.
using own language of  learner in the field of teaching or lecture in english is effective.but as a faciltator,you need first to consider the level of the learners you have.for example,your learners is in a grade 1,2,3, we all know that level are starting on how to twist their tounge to pronounce a word either their own language.and they are not already exposed in english dialect.so that, i think their own language or dialect will help us to use as a bridge to teach an english word.but if your learner are in the highier grades,maybe that is the right time to stand using an english language in all english subject.because that level or stage of learner are already have an experience on how to read and speak english language.using english language to the learner is really important thing to enhance them on how to communicate using our international language.but like what id said before,we need first to consider if what are the level of our learners we have.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Cristine Sumcad  Cuzon
Should teachers use students’ own language in the classroom? A very nice question for us as a future facilitator. For me, the answer is definitely YES. Why? Because we must consider the Mother Tongue of an individual student for us to capable to communicate with them and for the better learning inside and outside the classroom. It is not necessary that we are going to teach an English Subject to our students and we are force to use English as our medium.
We must begin from the basic step, level by level we will guide, teach, and encourage them to interact within the classroom using the language we are teaching. Teachers are not just teaching the topics or lessons in the book but rather they are touching and transforming life of a single student, so how can we do this if our learners cannot understand WELL what we are saying in front. Yes, they are listening. Yes, they are answering. And yes they are interacting but the question is……. Do all of them understand the lesson? Are they truly got what you want them to acquire?
So generally speaking, we must always be reminded that we shall consider the own language of a student, we better try to translate what we are saying but not literally word by word. And if we feel that they are ALL ready then this is the right time to start teaching them fluently in English. Let us keep in our mind that we have many diverse levels of learners and have individual differences, we better adjust and consider this entire factor.Patience is the only KEY. :)

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Realyn T. De Villa
                “Learn English and you can then teach your children English- or if they are already learning, you can now communicate with them in English”.    In our country, in primary level of education, English only policy is not suitable. Many or should I say most of Filipino are not born as speaker of English language. So, if we use English only in this level, the children will not understand their lesson so that the teacher should elaborate and translate their lesson in their native language. Meaning to say in this level we should use combination of our native language and English language.    In secondary level, it is necessary to have English only policy. “BUT” if there are terminologies that difficult to understand or words that they don’t understand, teachers should have to explain it in easy way or if it necessary to translate in their native language so let it be, let it clear to them in order to  have clarity in your lesson. Practice makes learning be successful. Learners will not enhance their ability to speak English if the school will not going to practice and implement English only policy in classroom. Let the learners design and decide rules in this policy. It will motivate them to participate in classroom discussion. Allow them to make a noise but speak English although their grammar is not correct. Keep them practice and practice until they will be able to at least can understand and speak English.                            In college, English policy should strictly observe. It is necessary to speak English only in classroom in this level because it is the preparation stage to their chosen field. They must understand and speak English for them to be communicably competitive in English language globally. Ability to speak English fluently is one of the best way to be globally competitive and get ahead of their chosen field.             So my stand in this issue is the use of  our language in classroom is depend upon the   level of their education they were belong.Successful language learning acquisition will attain in step by step process. Allow the learners to understand and learn first the basic way before it will be completely acquired and learned.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Realyn T. De Villa
MY REFLECTION IN INTRO. TO LINGUISTIC  Studying language is so complicated. Language changes time at a time. The meaning of the word and sentence structure change, new meanings are given to words and new words are added. Language is a powerful tool. Learning to use language carefully will improve the effectiveness of the speaker. Historical Linguistic is the evolution of language change from old to middle to modern English. Words in old English change and completely shift in meanings. Language born in conventional manner which means “accepted by large number of people”. It was also formed by means of blending, communization, acronym and initialization, shortening and borrowing. And as English has evolve as a language, it has undergone changes. These changes include broadening, narrowing, and complete shift in meaning and it would be change in the connotation of the word. Another changes occur in English language is the metaphor which involve relationship of perceived similarity. And some words become good to hear than its true word or it is what we call the avoidance of obscenity. The exaggeration by overstatement and understatement is also include in this phenomena. The evolution of word usage change usually to the point that the modern meaning is radically different from the original usage. Language is dynamic.it also born and die because of some complete shift.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

harvey jhun Bulda
  For me, using students own language in english classes is more effective for the learners to learn english. because, in using their own language, it will be more comfortable for them to understand because they won't have difficulties in understanding. what i mean is, when a certain teacher teaches in english language while their students are filipinoes, the student will be having some difficulties understanding because they don't have such knowlede to cope with it. not all are gifted when it comes to the English language, we all know that there are only few. in that case, we can't equalize each learner and advance to much modernize, because a car can't move on a two-wheeled form.knowledge is very important for a youth to develop, because they can shape the future of our country. if only few of them develop their knowledge, then a car can't move in a two-wheeled formation.
  Using students own language in english classes will help those who are a slow learners. if we can make it in more easier way then why not make it in easier way for the students to learn unlike make it hard if both of them only aims for the students to "learn".
  Without further explanations, for me it is better to use students own language to make learning easier.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

erick lumanog
          Should teachers use students’ own language in the classroom? For me, it depends on the ability of your learner’s if your learner’s is easy to understand or easy to get what you talking about you must go for teach them another language like for example English but if your learner is hard to capture the words that you give or not fun to listening, you must be used the language that they know to have conversation with them. And as a teacher you must be better know that you cannot force your students to understand the language that you give to your learner’s and you may used some translation techniques because for me this is one of the most effective techniques to capture the attention of your learner’s like for example you are teaching a tagalog words you must be translate into Korean to capture the attention of your students their like it or not. Honestly Speaking, this is effective one to get the attention of your students for me and the most powerful reasons why the students used’ their own language in their classroom to actively encouraged all of her/his classmates.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

lyka jessa e. vinluan
To used or not to used the students language.
For me language is an engine of each people to communicate to each other and to have an understanding.The importance of language is essential to every aspect and interaction in our everyday lives. We use language to inform the people around us of what we feel, what we desire, and question/understand the world around us. We communicate effectively with our words, gestures, and tone of voice in a multitude of situation. Would you talk to a small child with the same words you would in a business meeting?Being able to communicate with each other, form bonds, teamwork, and it’s what separates humans from other animal species. Communication drives our lives and better ourselves.So as a teacher we must be considered the level of our students.For example,if you are a part time instructor in college then you are a permanent teacher in high school,of course the language that you can used in college is not the same that you can used in high school.Because the knowledge that they have are not the same . As I remember my professor said that,if you will become a teacher,always consider the level of your learners.No matter what aged they have,religion,or ethnic and most of all their own language they have.Because as a future teacher  try to  put our self to be like them.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Jacky May Lama
Should teachers use students’ own language in the classroom? Of course Yes! For the students to be able to learned and understand it easily. But sometimes of course you have to  practice them for them to be able to use it in their own way. In teaching for example an English subject, you have to use English speaking for them to learn easily and for them to use it in proper.
But of course it is depend on the level of your learners. If your learners are in the highest level of thinking of course you can use what the subject you are supposed to teach (English). Just like in College, I am an English major students, when the teacher uses English speaking the learner could also use it. Because as an English major student, I have to practice myself  in  speaking English for me to be able to enhance my speaking skills even though it's hard. :D
When I become a teacher in grade 7 for example, of course I have to level my strategies according to my learners. Of course if they don't understand it I will translate it on their language for them to be able to follow and understand what I'm teaching. If you use English language even without knowing if your learner  understand you, you will  take the disadvantages of it later. When you use their own language, they can easily understand you so, you can give them the instructions that they must done. You can't force them not to use their own language because as the article said "It is beyond the ability of anyone to banish totally the learners’ own language from a foreign language learning experience."

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

QUIRANTE, SHIELA D.
 Should teacher use students own language in the classroom?

If you talk a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head
If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.
-Nelson Mandela

For me, the best way to be understood by the student is by using their own language in teaching English. We must consider the mother tongue of every student so that they can communicate well with the others. We should teach them step by step in teaching the English using their language until they can easily understand the topic. If they already have knowledge in English we can now teach them English fluently.
Teaching only English is not necessary. They are cooperating but then we don’t know if they understand what we are teaching to them. It is better to use the combination of the two for them not to misunderstand the meaning of what we are teaching.  We have different learners and we should consider their ability to do or understand the lesson. Let them feel comfortable in using their own language to communicate.
Based on what I have heard, learners in the lower level cannot speak English or understand it instantly. They have different level of thinking. And for us a teacher we have to consider their ability of understanding. We cannot force them to learn English. So for me teaching using their own language is the best way our learners can learn the English.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Luquingan, Arlene A.

                Should teachers use students own language in the classroom?
According to Philip Kerr, “Use of students own language can be valuable in the classroom.” It is clearly stated that own language was consider to use in the classroom. For me, it is better to use it. Nowadays as I experience, it is hard for me and my teachers to understand each other because they use their own language rather than to use my own. Honestly speaking I’m not good enough in English reason why I can’t speak English fluently. As a non-native speaker it is quiet hard for me to speak English even though I am studying it. In some cases also, it is hard to memorize English words because there are American English and British English that has a diff. meaning and pronunciation in other words.
According to Philip Kerr, “Use of students own language can be valuable in the classroom.” It is clearly stated that own language was consider to use in the classroom. For me, it is better to use it. Nowadays as I experience, it is hard for me and my teachers to understand each other because they use their own language rather than to use my own. Honestly speaking I’m not good enough in English reason why I can’t speak English fluently. As a non-native speaker it is quiet hard for me to speak English even though I am studying it. In some cases also, it is hard to memorize English words because there are American English and British English that has a diff. meaning and pronunciation in other words.
It is better to us to use our own language in the classroom and take a practice on foreign language but don’t force each student to speak as well as a native speaker because learning is by definition, built upon previous learning, and the most significant resource that learners bring to the language learning task is their existing linguistic knowledge. Teachers also used their students own language therefore it is better for each other to understand each other.
Yes it is good to learn more about foreign language. It will help us to understand each other around this world and learning of each language will be a big help for us. Let everyone study it but don’t forget our own language.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Balquen, Cherry Ann
          As a native language of Filipino or Tagalog language, it's hard to fully understand and not easily to adapt the American English language.
          I'm a student and taking a course of BSED major in English so that I need to use English during our class to become a proficient and productive future teacher. In some cases, its need to translate in order to understand. Filipino, Chinese, and other students except to those native English language have some difficulties in understanding it so that it needs a translation for somehow to make it clear. We know that translating won't go away. As I have read , translating is one of the preferred learning strategies in teaching. Also, we know that English is known as an international language so that we need to improve our English speaking but  I'm trying to emphasize is, students can use and not use their own language depends on the subject given in the classroom. For example Mathematics, we can not translate it on our language (Filipino), but we can translate other subjects for able to understand what the teacher's point and not all the time of the class the teacher will translate them in student's own language.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

ARCELY R. BALQUEN
   All through out the years using English language has been dominated in all countries especially in Philippines' school, and teachers are required to use English language as apart of teaching English subject, as a means of communication. But using second language in teaching English subject is a rarely hard to do, especially to the non-native students ( for the the teachers as well).
   Non-native teachers of English subject (especially here in the Philippines) have a hard time in teaching English (e.g. SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT) because if a teachers keep on talking and explaining using English language purely for the entire duration of class then there must be a tendency that some of his students can not follow him and students have a hard time to understand him. It is because the cognitive or the "cognition level" of every students is varied to everyone. So that would mean, no matter how a teacher speaks good in English, if his students can not absorb and always bombarded then it is useless and nonsense.
   My English teacher( proficient when it comes in English) can not avoid shared mother tongue to us because if he considers the cultures and the environments that his students have.
   So for me, teacher can use students own language in teaching English subject BUT NOT TOO MUCH. It DEPENDS.
   A teacher can use students own language IF there is a IMPORTANT DETAILS/ INFORMATION that a teacher wants to emphasize. But I am not telling that a teacher can use first-hand language all the time, Because tolerating students own language will lead them to be substandard.
   My final word is that, as long as a students can understand second language then keep on mentoring. As your students learn gradually you learn also.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Alvin Seniel
Should teachers  used students own language in the classroom?
   "New knowledge is constructed in the base of old knowledge"this thoughts answers the question above.
 Native language is the most important thing when it comes to teaching.English is important too...of course because it is the universal language that we need to learn and practice.But in teaching,the facilitator must be knowledgeable of what their student background in language,but there is limitations.For example,during the elementary year,the teacher and student communicate in taglish language because in this level,(grade 1-4)students are not fully educated and prefferd to use english language.Evolution in learning is slowly but effective.If the teachers forced the non-natve english speaker to speak english at early age wihtout considering the level of learners,it is so hard in the part of the student.There is possibility that the student slowly learned because they are not all fast english learner.
   Our native language is the basic language that the teachers must be considered during the early age of learning,and until college age,we can consider it to the students with poor knowlegde and novice learner.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

VILLANUEVA MARGIE P.
Language is a way of communication. Through this you can understand each other especially when we are using our native language so if I’ll be the one who to ask about using or not using native language in a class, as a student first of all I should say that it depends upon the level of the learner and the degree of their capability in speaking and last it also depends in the situations. As a student who currently experiencing the teaching method use by our professor, he always speak in English  although it was hard to understand some of word that he used because it’s not common well it helps me a lot to comprehend my skills . But in some cases we must consider also other who has not capability of learning more vocabulary in English.I should say we must allow student to use their native language for them to cope and express themselves also. Aside from that they will feel belong with the discussion because they can understand what’s going on. If you will force your learner to speak in English instead of learning they will not be interested to learn. Because even though they speak in their native language they can still learn in english the important thing only is hat they understand more rather than looking at to their facilitator but they don't understand anything.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Mary Jane S. Atienza
As a future teacher, I already know that I need to be flexible and strategic in comes to facilitate learning. I need to adjust for the sake of diversity of my students.
In comes of appropriate language to be use in teaching, you can use the intended language depends on the level of knowledge of your students. Our International Language which is the English Language, was quite hard and broad to study, so if you’re going to force your student to learn about it or use it in teaching a lesson, your students will be trying hard to overcome a single day of your teaching.
 To use the English Language in tackling a lesson in a whole time in your class has the advantages, sometimes it’ll not be effective because the students are not comfortable and to relate themselves to the topic you’re being discussed.
They can’t definitely express their thoughts and opinion with the ordered language. For what is your pure English speaking with right pronunciation with intended stress if your students did not understands you? It will be non-sense.
Yes, the English Language is our International Language and we need to practice it to be globally competitive and join to the trend of the world, but using such language in any aspect of teaching wasn’t effective. Especially when you’re going to teach in a remote area or let’s say in a farm place which is not completely assessed about such policy, they can’t easily adapt on what you are talking about.
In my insight, you can use the International Language in your teaching if you know who’s really deserving and obligated to do and captivate such. Better to based your level of your teaching according to the students are you teaching for. But in a college degree, it is obligated to use International Language in a whole time of discussing and a English Speaking policy except if it is a Filipino subject we can use our native language to captivate with this. Using English Language in facilitate learning is depends on the students and situation of such institution. We should consider the student’s capability to understand because every child, student, and learners has its own diversity and own way to caught up and captivate knowledge.

Last time that we had our discussion with our INTRO TO LINGUISTIC I had learned about history of linguistic. Some of the reporters discussed that language emerge time to time which is true. By using the method of deletion and assimilation sound changes and because of that the definition of the word changes also. By the emergence of language many changes happened also. There's a case that when you read the word some letters was silently read. I was lucky to have this subject although it was really hard to learn with because it helps me a lot to clarify some things regarding language learning.So now whenever I am using some words i can identify if it is related to semantic relationship or type. Even though constructing of sentences, I became aware of doing it. And honest speaking this subject is very exciting not because of the reporter but because of the topic because it is very interesting . If you are going to look at it first you cannot understand it but if you will just analyze it you'll say that it was just that easy. You can learn lots of interesting topic like semantics, synonyms, holonyms,homophones,heterophone,hyponym and etch. which I didn't encountered during my high school days.I did focused my attention because it really captivates me. So at least now with the help gf this subject I learned many things related to linguistic.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Cristine Sumcad  Cuzon
My first English Class in College is very intimidating to me. You can award me as "Most Behave " in the class because we are not allowed to speak tagalog whenever we answer our teacher's question. but my instructor is talking tagalog in a some way for us to understand each other and to make an interaction with us, his class.
It is very hard to students to listen to their instructor talking english all the way to his class. If time to time your teacher will talk language you understand between foreign language can relax your mind. Listening to your teacher talking english all the way to his class feels like your brain was intertwined and twisted because of the words you don't understand and unfortunately as a result you don't understand anything in the lesson.
To learn other language is feels like a treasure.
But you will not  understand other language if you don't consider your own language.
You conceive an idea in your mind in your own language before you translate it in other language.

In our English class I have many ideas in my mind but I can't express all of them because of lack of knowledge in english vocabulary and I am afraid my classmates will laugh in my grammar. I am thankful to my teachers who encourage us to speak english in our class even we commit many grammatical error but it helps us to practice speaking english. it is really hard to speak english only in a whole class but i found it very helpful. it motivates my english speaking skills. Either inside and outside the classroom give time to practice speaking english.
But as for the teacher it is really a burden for the students to listen to other language that they rearly understand.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Alhona Pacifico
Should teacher use students' own language in the classroom?
For me,it can be yes or maybe no. it is depends in the learners or in the subject area that we are going to learn. English is our international language and we need to learn and understand English language, because if we don't, we can't be competitive enough from the other country. But as for the author Philip Keer that it is very valuable for the students to use their own language in the classroom, because students can easily to understand their lesson and it probably can avoid for misunderstanding. How about that what they said that we need the translation? I think it would be time consuming and it wont be applicable in other subject; for example in mathematics, there are some terminologies that we can't be translated  in our tagalog language, because it will be sound funny if you do so.
In learning process using student's own language and English it is contradict to each other, because if the students used to speak their own language they might be hard for them to speak English. And their grammar will not good as the English speaker. My suggestion, maybe we practice our English when the subject is English and we speak tagalog in Filipino subject. And sometimes we practice also our English outside the classroom or at home.
Anyway, there is another question just pop in my mind. How about the beginner? How they will learn their English if the teacher will speak in here class fluently? It is really confusing. Will the point is speaking own language inside the classroom are can't be totally banish.

Re: Final Requirements (Language Curriculum)

Kimberly C. De Jesus
For me it is much better to used other language in classes for the students to be more flexible interms of speaking  languages.Like for example here in the Philippines our mother tounge is Filipino ofcourse were much excellent speaking it rather than speaking other.But as now we have to study,learned and trained speaking as well writng in English as universal language that is widely used.
On the other hand,we can say that translating every tagalog words in English can consume your time in teaching that instead using those time in teaching using our native language  when students can easily cope and understand what are you saying and teaching.And if the teacher is using other language in teaching only the teacher would speak and no one would hesitate to speak because they don’t know the language that their teacher is speaking.
Yes it is! But as long as there is a  translator and specific time for  studying other language it is applicable.And it will benefits the students to be more globally competitive.
12